The Canadian Association of Thoracic Surgeons (CATS) is dedicated to ongoing excellence in education.
- The association has a close working relationship with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Thoracic Surgery Specialty Committee, which oversees Canadian postgraduate training in Thoracic Surgery.
- The CATS also fosters lifelong learning and the dissemination of knowledge through support and endorsement of research and continuous professional development activities.
Education Committee is Growing
- The CATS Education and CPD Committee is excited to welcome three new resident representatives:
- Dr. Iran Tavakoli
- Dr. Awrad Nasralla
- Dr. Uzair Jogiat
- We are looking forward to working with these future thoracic surgeons and leaders.
Annual Exam Prep Course
- The CATS Education and CPD Committee Is currently planning the annual Exam Prep Course for graduating thoracic surgery residents, tentatively scheduled for September 2021.
- We are looking for interested thoracic surgeons to help administer practice oral exams during the course.
- If you are interested in participating as an instructor please contact Simon Turner (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- To become involved in CATS educational initiatives, contact cats@CanadianThoracicSurgeons.ca.
September 24, 2021 at 13:15-16:30 Eastern
This session is intended for trainees and practicing surgeons who are interested in a review of core general thoracic surgery. The session will cover topics in thoracic surgery that are either uncommonly seen or whose management has changed in the recent past. The session will review the basic diagnosis and management of each topic. At the end of the session, participants will have reviewed uncommon and challenging situations in thoracic surgery and will have an up-to-date approach to the diagnosis and treatment of these specific diseases.
Master Class Schedule
1315-1325: Pathology of Early Lung Adenocarcinoma – Dr. Andrew Churg
1325-1345: Experiences Implementing Lung Cancer Screening – Dr. Gail Darling
1345-1405: Lung Cancer Screening Studies Since NLST – Dr. Stephen Lam
1405-1425: Understanding LungRADS – Dr. Daria Manos
1425-1445: Microcoil Lung Nodule Localization – Dr. Kyle Grant
1500-1520: Navigational Bronchoscopy for Small Lung Nodules – Dr. Renelle Myers
1520-1540: SBRT vs Surgery-STARS/ROSEL and Onwards – Dr. Colin Schieman
1540-1600: Update on Segmentectomy vs Lobectomy for Stage I NSCLC – Dr. Alex Lee
1600-1620: Finding the Intersegmental Plane and other Segmentectomy Pearls – Dr. Wael Hanna
Royal College Exam Prep Course for Thoracic Surgery Residents
Announcing the second annual Exam Prep Course for residents taking the Thoracic Surgery Royal College exam.
Open to graduating thoracic surgery residents only.
Saturday, September 25, 2021 at 11:00-15:00 Eastern time
Chair: Simon Turner, CATS CPD Committee Chair
Target Audience: Graduating thoracic surgery residents
By the end of this course:
- Learners will be familiar with the structure and conduct of the Thoracic Surgery Royal College exam
- Learners will be able to describe strategies for success in the oral exam, as well as potential pitfalls to avoid
- Learners will have the chance to practice their oral exam skills in group and individual practice sessions that closely replicate the exam environment