Now Available – Updated Esophageal Cancer Pathway Maps
The Disease Pathway Management (DPM) program is pleased to announce that the updated Esophageal Cancer Pathway Maps are now published on Ontario Health – Cancer Care Ontario’s website.
The updated Esophageal Cancer Pathway Maps reflect the most recent evidence in the diagnosis and management of patients in Ontario during specific phases of the esophageal cancer continuum and align with the 8th edition of the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) staging system. The updated versions feature streamlined approaches to managing flat and nodule Barrett’s esophagus and treating Stage III and IVA squamous cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.
Who should use the pathway maps?
The pathway maps are designed to be used by clinicians, health administrators and multidisciplinary teams including:
- Surgical Oncologists
- Radiation Oncologists
- Medical Oncologists
- Primary Care Providers
- Allied Health Professionals
- Nuclear Medicine and Radiologists
How can clinicians, health administrators and multidisciplinary teams use pathway maps?
- To provide support for clinical decision-making in alignment with evidence-based best practice
- To create awareness of appropriate next steps and referral patterns to facilitate coordination and integration of care
- To identify and reduce variation in practice patterns
- To identify opportunities for improvement in health care system performance in your hospital or region (e.g. access to and coordination of care, variation in practice and outcomes)
- To support health system and services planning and to inform cancer program development in your hospital or region
For questions about this pathway map please contact Ontario Health (Cancer Care Ontario)’s Disease Pathway Management program at OH-CCO_DiseasePathwayManagement@ontariohealth.ca
Dr. Donna Maziak
Ontario Thoracic Cancers Lead
Disease Pathway Management, Clinical Institutes & Quality Programs
Ontario Health (Cancer Care Ontario)
525 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 2L3