Category : Best Practices Committee
Best Practice Recommendations on Enhanced Recovery after Thoracic Surgery (ERATS) for Esophagectomy
N Seyednejad, B. Johnson, G. Darling, A. Seely
Enhanced Recovery After Surgery aims to approach the care of surgical patients in a multimodal, multidisciplinary manner to in order to improve surgical outcomes and quality of care. Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) programs are becoming the standard of practice in many surgical specialties throughout the world. Data on implementation of ERAS pathways at many centres have demonstrated improvements in clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and results in significant cost savings to the health care system. While ERAS has been widely implemented across the country in various oncological specialties, its uptake for ERATS procedures have been slower and extensively documented. Here, we outline the recommendations for ERATS in patients undergoing an esophagectomy.
- Berkelmans GH, Fransen LF, Dolmans-Zwartjes AC, Kouwenhoven EA, van Det MJ, Nilsson M, Nieuwenhuijzen GA, Luyer MD. Direct oral feeding following minimally invasive esophagectomy. Annals of Surgery
- Chao L, Ferri L, Mulder S, Ncuti A, Neville A, Lee L, Kaneva P, Watson D, Vassiliou M, Carli F, Feldman L. An enhanced recovery pathways decreases duration of stay after esophagectomy. Surgery 2012: 606-616.
- Findlay J, Gillies R, Millo J, Sgromo B, Marshall R, Maynard N. Enhanced recovery for esophagectomy: A systematic review and evidence based guidelines. Ann of Surgery 2014; 259:413-431.
- Fjederholt KT,Okholm C, Svendsen LB, Achiam MP, Kirkegård J, Mortensen FV. Ketorolac and Other NSAIDs Increase the Risk of Anastomotic Leakage After Surgery for GEJ Cancers: a Cohort Study of 557 Patients. J Gastrointestinal Surg 2018: 587-594.
- Giménez-Milà M, Klein AA, Martinez G. Design and implementation of an enhanced recovery program in thoracic surgery. Journal of thoracic disease 2016 Feb;8(Suppl 1):S37.
- Hakkarainen TW, Steele SR, Bastaworous A, Dellinger EP, Farrokhi E, Farjah F, Florence M, Helton S, Horton M,, Pietro M, Varghese TK, Flum DR. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and the risk for anastomotic failure: a report from Washington State’s Surgical Care and Outcomes Assessment Program (SCOAP). JAMA Surg 2018; 223-228.
- Ljungqvist O, Scott M, Fearon KC. Enhanced Recovery After Surgery: A review. JAMA Surg 2017; 152:292-298.
- Low DE, Allum W, De Mazoni G, Ferri L, Immanuel A, Kuppusamy M, Law S, Lindblad M, Maynard N, Neal J, Pramesh C, Scott M, Smithers B, Addor V, Ljungqvist O. Guidelines for perioparative care in esophagectomy : enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) society recommendations. World J of Surgery 2018; 43:299-330.
- Markar S, Karthikesaligam A, Low D. Enhanced recovery pathways lead to an improvement in postoperative outcomes following esophagectomy: systematic review and pooled analysis. Disease of the esophagus 2015; 28: 468-475.
- Martin LW, Sarosiek BM, Harrison MA, Hedrick T, Isbell JM, Krupnick AS, Lau CL, Mehaffey JH, Thiele RH, Walters DM, Blank RS. Implementing a thoracic enhanced recovery program: lessons learned in the first year. The Annals of thoracic surgery 2018; 105(6):1597-604.
- Thiele RH, Rea KM, Turrentine FE, Friel CM, Hassinger TE, Goudreau BJ, et al. Standardization of Care: Impact of an Enhanced Recovery Protocol on Length of Stay, Complications, and Direct Costs after Colorectal Surgery. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2015; 220:430–43.